Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweet Corn Bread or Muffins

I wanted some corn bread to go along with our chicken tortilla soup on Sunday, and rather than reaching for our normal corn bread mix, I decided to try and make it from scratch. Yeah, I am never using that mix again. This corn bread was so moist and fluffy. There is another recipe on the box that isn't as sweet and I think I will try that one next time too, so I have a sweet version and a more traditional one too. Here is the sweet recipe:

Alber's Sweet Corn Bread or Muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine melted

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 pan or 18-20 muffin cups (you can use paper-liners for muffins too).
Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, veggie oil, and butter in a small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into pan or into muffin cups until 2/3 full.

-For corn bread: bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

-For corn muffins: bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE warm sweet corn bread with butter. YUM! I have never made it from scratch, but now I will have to try! thanks!

    ReplyDelete