Monday, April 4, 2011

Butter Chicken

I LOVE Indian Food. It is my favorite ethnic food, followed closely by Chinese and Thai food. I always figured it was hard to cook, until I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen. Normally, I don't love trying recipes where I have to go and buy new spices that I don't use very often, but in this case, it was worth it! As the chicken simmers in its sauce, I just stand by the stove and breathe in the yummy exotic smells. It is heaven with a little naan bread on the side, which we happened to find in our local Winco. Anyway, here is my version of the recipe and here is a link to the original, in case you want to see it. The original recipe is a little heavier on garlic, cayenne pepper (I leave this out totally), cream, and marinade time.


Ingredients:

  • 4 pieces Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut Into Bite Sized Pieces)
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Black Pepper
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Coriander
  • ¼ teaspoons Cumin
  • ¼ teaspoons Cardamom
  • 1 whole Lime, Juiced
  • 1 whole Onion, Diced
  • ¼ cups Butter
  • 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Tomato Sauce
  • 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Whipping Cream- the original recipe calls for a pint of whipping cream but that seemed like a lot. I just add the cream until I think it tastes good which for me is 1/4 of a cup. You can also uses half and half for a slightly less fattening options:)
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice (or However Much You Want)


Optional Ingrdients:

  • 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper- I don't love spicy food and so I just leave this out but if you are going to add it, put it in the marinade with the other spices
  • 1 bunch Chopped Cilantro, to taste- We can't eat cilantro in our house. My husband think it tastes like soap but it sounds like a lovely addition to the recipe. Add this right before serving.


Directions:

Combine first 8 ingredients and marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the whipping cream just before serving over Basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment